Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Monday Miscellaneo

We stayed in Rapid City two nights. On our last drive through there was a storm that brought dense fog to the area and we weren’t able to see the Crazy Horse Monument. This time we wanted to catch the Wind Cave National Park and Crazy Horse. 

I love that so many of the CCC projects are still benefiting us today. The elevator at wind cave is one of those projects. Isn’t the floor indicator way cool???


I learned so much at the Crazy Horse Monument. The fact that it will take so long to complete makes it feel epic. I would like to return in 10 years. They had two pictures, one from 2020 and one from 2023 that clearly showed the progress on the extended hand. It is such a monumental project, it’s hard to take in the scale. This is a photo of the plaster sculpture that, if I remember correctly, is 16 tons itself!

The letters on the poem are slated to be three feet high. Just an incredible, monumental project.

Lastly, just like our trip before, our timing just happened to coincide with the Sturgis motorcycle rally. We saw motorcyclists everywhere and I’m sure the economic benefits to all the surrounding areas helps sustain many businesses. This trip, we actually drove into Sturgis and the number of motorcycles in Sturgis itself was incredible!! They have a platform that, for $5, you can climb to for pictures with the proceeds going to that day’s charity organization. Nice touch, Sturgis!


It was easy to drive in to Sturgis and park our car on a side street. Interestingly, there were several locations offering their yard to pitch your tent.


And that is our roadside attraction!

Cherie




No comments:

Post a Comment