I have put in the very last stitches on the Friendship Star quilt. It seems heavy but weighs only 9 pounds…..so much less than I would have guessed. I ended up glue basting the binding which took several hours but worked well. I used my zipper foot to get close to the edge of the binding and used my stiletto to help keep the binding fold out of the way.
It worked pretty darn well and saved a ton of time vs hand stitching the binding down. The corners came out really nice too.
Here’s the label….this quilt is going to England thus the USA on the label.
Here’s the finished photos of this 108” x 108” monster.
Linking up with Finished (or not) Friday….because it is FINISHED!
Yippee! Cherie





Hooray is right! What a wonderful gift! I hope its journey to England is a safe one!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful quilt! I really like how you changed up the backgrounds.
ReplyDeleteYou got this one made so fast! It turned out beautiful! It would have probably taken 6 to 8 hours to sew the binding by hand. I don't even want to think about how much it will cost to ship it to the UK!
ReplyDeleteYipee!!! That is a great quilt - and you are right!! A monster!!! but a lovely one!
ReplyDeleteOh, my goodness, did that come out beautiful. Love how you did the binding, too. I have been doing my bindings via machine for a few years now (Crazy Mom Quilts style), and I might have to give this method a try. It sure turned out beautiful!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! Your binding looks great. I'm sure your English friends will love it.
ReplyDeleteThe monster size quilts have miles of binding. It's good you can do it by machine. I used to quilt that size quilt on my 830 Bernina back in the 1980s and 90s. I would never attempt that now.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations - it's really a very handsome quilt. Glad the binding worked out so well.
ReplyDeleteI have never put binding on from the front - you sew right next to the fold over in the ditch so to speak? I think my binding is never done neat enough to have it do perfect and yours does look perfect. I never weighed my quilts but I know a few of the really big ones seem to weigh a lot. The quilt turned out really pretty.
ReplyDeletePat yourself on the back for a big finish. Your binding looks nice. I sew all my bindings on by machine. What will you work on next?
ReplyDeleteThat's a beautiful quilt - congratulations on your finish! I would not have thought to use the zipper foot when machine stitching a binding, such a good idea. I'll have to remember that!
ReplyDeleteWhat a glorious, big, beautiful quilt! I love the friendship stars and your colors so much. I just watched a gal glue her binding down on YouTube yesterday then hand stitch it. I was thinking of hand stitching the binding on my Barbie quilt (after machine stitch to the front), but I really like what you did!
ReplyDeleteWell done, Cherie!! I love the variety of the fabric in the stars, along with the dark background. Congratulations on this beautiful finish.
ReplyDeleteTah Dah! It's beautiful!
ReplyDeleteA big beautful finish! I have used that glue basting method and agree it works well even if it takes a bit of time to do. Placement is important as sometimes I still "miss" the stitching in a few spots and then have to go back in and hand tack those down. I recently found a tutorial on the Quilting Daily site where Sara Gallegos uses fusible thread and a serger(!) to attach the binding and then can "glue" it down that way. I bought the thread and hope to try that one too since my preference is to machine bind.
ReplyDelete